Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cover Thursday- I Can't Make You Love Me, If You Don't

For Emma, Forever Ago, Bon Iver's 2008 debut was perhaps the most stunningly beautiful and unexpected freshman release the music industry had seen in some time.  Justin Vernon and his haunting falsetto had produced something so unique that listeners had to stop and pay attention.  Even more impressive, he's managed to keep their attention.

On June 21st Bon Iver released their highly anticipated eponymous sophomore effort.  Despite sky high expectations, Bon Iver may have exceeded even the loftiest of requirements.  In my opinion, Bon Iver is the best album of 2011 to this point.  There is noticeably more production on Bon Iver than on For Emma, Forever Ago, giving it a much fuller sound.  However, the album is still distinctly Bon Iver.

I've been dying to feature a song from this record.  While every song is outstanding, I can't stop listening to the opening track, "Perth".  Unfortunately, there's not a great video of "Perth" out there yet.  But,  I couldn't resist writing about Bon Iver, so here's Bon Iver (Justin Vernon) performing "I Can't Make You Love Me" and "Nick of Time" by Bonnie Raitt.


Head over to boniver.org.  If you do purchase Bon Iver, and I suggest you do, I think it's best enjoyed with the lights off and a pair of headphones.  It's one of those records.

No comments:

Post a Comment