Saturday, July 2, 2011

Centro-matic: Just To Crawl Along Your Beaches

So I made it back home to Buffalo last night, and between the driving and helping out a bit at home I couldn't make it to Mohawk place to see the Sarah Jaffe and Cetro-matic show.  Something tells me, I'll come to regret it.

Originally, the concert interested me because Sarah Jaffe's Suburban Nature has been in steady rotation on my iPod.  However, the more I learn about Centr-matic, the more I want to see them as well.  Centro-matic is led by singer/songwriter Will Johnson.  Like Jaffe, Johnson calls Denton, TX home (I swear they grow musicians there).  Only, Johnson's been at this whole writing music gig for a bit longer than the fresh-faced Sarah Jaffe.  Centro-matic began as a solo side project, but then grew into a band in the mid 90's.  In addition to Centro-matic, and his solo career, Johnson also heads the band South San Gabriel and is a member of supergroup Monsters of Folk.

Centro-matic just released their latest album Candidate Waltz less than two weeks ago.  Already it's made one of Paste Magazine's editor's "Top 20 Albums of 2011 (So Far)" list.  Here's Will Johnson from Centro-matic performing "Just To Know What You've Been Dreaming".  I can't stop listening to this song, and it's incredible lyrics.  The solo performance just makes it more powerful.  Hope you enjoy it just as much as I do!


You can purchase Candidate Waltz, check tour dates, and learn more about the band at Centro-matic's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment