Sunday, March 27, 2011

Concert Review: The Damnwells @ Iota, Arlington, VA- 3.26.2011

Last night was my first trip to The Iota, a small club and cafe in Arlington, Virginia, with a capacity just under 200 people. A few weeks ago, my friend Teresa mentioned The Damnwells and the concert.  Never one to turn down a suggestion from Teresa, I was happy to tag along for the show.

I only started listening The Damnwells this week when I downloaded their new release, No One Listens To The Band Anymore, but they've been around for the better part of a decade now.  They remind me of a 90's band, but in the best way possible.  They have pretty catchy lyrics, but none that are prepackaged or cliched.  They remind me a bit of a band like Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers, or to go back to high school, a band like Tonic or The Wallfowers would be suitable comparisons.

We arrived at the show right before the second opening band, Harper Blynn, took the stage.  I think every inch of space was accounted for, as tiny club must have been sold out.  Harper Blynn performed a very good set, and I'm looking forward to listening them a bit more.  I was quite impressed.  The Damnwells took the stage just a shade past 11.  They played a very energetic set, featuring a good split between songs from the new album and songs from albums past. The highlight for me was their new song "Werewolves".  Not being terribly familiar with their material, they really kept me engaged throughout the entire show.  It was a great way to end a tremendous day!

Here's a performance of "Werewolves" from a previous show.  I'd highly recommend getting to know The Damnwells.  I know their album will be playing on my speakers for quite some time.


To see if The Damnwells are coming to a town near you, or to purchase some Damnwells music head here.

No comments:

Post a Comment