Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ireland Week- Damien Rice/Lisa Hannigan: I Remember December

Will Damien Rice please release a new album soon???  It's been nearly 5 years since his last release, entitled 9.  His two studio releases, O and the previously mentioned 9 are absolutely amazing.  Most people would recognize Damien Rice from his mellower songs like "Blower's Daugter" and "Cannonball", which are fantastic in their own right.  However, if you've seen Damien Rice live, you know there is a completely seperate element to his music.  The man can rock, and rock hard.  After the tremendously successful release of O, it was reported the Damien Rice was actually displeased with the album because he felt it was too one sided.

This song is a great depiction of both sides of Damien Rice's music.  I love every second of it.  From the beautiful simplicity of Lisa Hannigan's voice in the whimsical first half, to the sudden explosion of sharp-tongued lyrics in the second, to the layers of loops and distortion to end it.  Here's Damien Rice featuring Lisa Hannigan performing "I Remember".


News from Damien Rice has been sparse for the better part of four years.  There have been recording sessions in Iceland, and a few releases of stray tracks on benefit albums.  I for one will anxiously be awaiting a new album.  To keep up with anything that may come our way from Damien Rice visit his website.

I couldn't possibly end this post without further extending my love of Lisa Hannigan.  While browsing my way through Lisa Hannigan videos last night, I determined she's the girl of my dreams.  Hope you're ok with that Lisa!

Here's a little bonus track... Lisa Hannigan performing the not yet released, "Passenger".



No comments:

Post a Comment