Friday, June 17, 2011

Caravan Countdown- Flaming Lips: Do You Realize?

Exactly one week from today kicks of DMB Caravan in Atlantic City.  Three days of virtually nonstop music!  I've always loved music, but I think it was my first Dave Matthews Band concert that ignited my addiction to live music.  I've seen Dave Matthews perform 23 times, which depending on who you talk, either borders on obsession, or is categorized as a fairly weak number (some people have been to hundreds!)  So of course I'm excited to see one of my favorite bands performing each of the three days, but I'm even more excited about seeing so many other acts.  There's bands I know extremely well, ones I'm fairly familiar with, and bands I've never heard of before.  It's bound to be a good time.

As a way of looking forward to the Caravan, the upcoming posts will act as a countdown of sorts.  Each day I'll feature a band who I'm really looking forward to seeing next week.  The only rule is that the band has to be one I haven't seen before.  This eliminates a bunch of bands I can't wait to see again including, Ray LaMontagne, David Gray, Lisa Hannigan (who I'm planning on proposing to next week), Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, and others.

The first band to be featured, I've heard is a must see.  The Flaming Lips have been making music since 1983.  Their shows are... crazy!  That's probably the best word, as they feature psychedelic lighting and props.  They are consistently talked about as one of the best live acts around.  In 2009, The Flaming Lips released a remake of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.  The Flaming Lips are tremendously popular in Europe, and have gained quite the reputation hear at home as of late.  I'm very much looking forward to catching their set!

Here's The Flaming Lips performing "Do You Realize?" off 2003's Yoshima Battles The Pink Robots.


Get more Flaming Lips!

Check back tomorrow for a new band!

No comments:

Post a Comment