Saturday, May 7, 2011

Concert Review: Freelance Whales @ 9:30 Club, Washington, DC- 5.6.11

I only started listening to Freelance Whales in December, but ever since I've been looking forward to an opportunity to see them live.  Last night I got my chance!

Their debut release, Weathervanes, does not have a weak point on it.  It's one of those albums that needs to be listened to from start to finish, as if each song is a chapter to a story.  The outstanding nature of Freelance Whales' debut release led to high expectations.  I was a little nervous though.  One of my favorite things about Freelance Whales is that they play very unique instruments, and many of them are electronic.  I wasn't sure it would all come together live, like it does on the studio album.  It turns out, my fears would unfounded.  In fact, they sounded better than the album!

The band came out to "Vessels" an instrumental track from the album, then opened with "Generator (First Floor)".  This song was meant to open a show-perfect!  Next, the band played "Enzymes" which was released as a single this past November.  If it's an indication of what's the come on the next album, then I'm excited!  Throughout the show, every song off Weathervanes was played.  Seeing them perform live, it's easy to see how talented every member truly is.  They consistently switch instruments, and take turns grabbing the lead.  These aren't your everyday instruments either.  Sure there's a guitar, drums, and keyboard.  There's also a banjo, glockenspiel, mandolin, and synthesizer to name a few.  Highlights included "Starring", "Ghosting", and "Hannah".  I was thoroughly impressed, and will hopefully be seeing them again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment